Saturday, March 20, 2010

St. Patrick's Day 10K

Ran my second 10K today. My goals for this race were to use it as a training run, not to run fast and to have fun. Sounds like that should be easy, but I have a hard time slowing down sometimes!! My "A" race, a half marathon, is in 8 days, so I wanted to stay injury free for that!

The race didn't start until 1pm, so my SIL came over around around 9:30 and we took our time getting there. There were 5K people running so we wanted to find a parking spot early! I had a wheat bagel when we got there around 10. We went and picked up our race number and t-shirts and then just walked around for a few hours. Got a free donut whole from the Dunkin Donuts truck and just enjoyed the amazing weather!!

We lined up at the starting line around 12:30. It was hot. 70 degrees on March 20th, when it was just in the 40s a week earlier is definitely way too warm when your not used to it!! I was sweating before we even lined up and being surrounded by 5K people made it even worse! Plus, I could feel the sun beating down and felt thirsty before we started. Not a good thing!!

The gun went off at 1 and we were off! Well sorta. lol we all started running and then stopped abruptly lol not sure what that was all about! We started at an easy pace and it felt nice to just relax. Usually I would have been weaving all over the place trying to pass people. Thankfully my SIL reminded me that I was taking it easy :)

After mile 1, it all went uphill.. literally! The first hill wasn't TOO bad, but the heat just made it so much worse! The sun was beating down since it was at the top of the sky. We missed the first waterstop and saw a ton of cups everywhere and were really upset since we were so thirsty! We slowed down a bit and hoped for a downhill soon. HA! It flattened out a bit, only before turning into another huge hill! The hill was deceptive because it took a turn, where you couldn't see past and we thought that was the end, but it just kept on going! SIL needed to stop and walk a bit so we did. Finally we got to another water stop, but had to STAND IN LINE for water!! I have never had to do that before!! I don't think they realized how thirsty everyone would be.

We kept on trucking up hills and on short flat parts. Then came the mile long down hill at mile 4. About halfway through, my knee started hurting so we walked a bit until another water stop, where we had to wait in line again!! The last 1.2 miles was pretty flat and fast. We were so tired and overheated that we were so thankful to see the finish line as we turned the last corner to run the last .2!! I won't even say how long the race took us lol

We both walked out of there saying we would never run the race again, but I'm sure that will change next year :)

No comments:

Post a Comment