Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Cross Training

I love running. That's no secret! A few months ago, I only ran. I ran 4 days a week and took 3 full rest days every week. CRAZY!

When I got a gym membership at the beginning of the year, I made a goal to see how many days in a row I could work out. Now obviously I can't suddenly go from running 4 days a week to 7, so I started crosstraining. Although I finally had to give myself a full rest day after 3 weeks, I fell in love with crosstraining as well as running!

Now, I'm a huge fan of double workout days! On Monday, I ran 4 miles in the morning and took a spinning class in the evening. Today I walked for 30 min (2 miles) on my lunch break and took a BodyPump class tonight. It's amazing how much my body can handle now. After BodyPump, I even felt like I hadn't really done enough working out for the day! Ha!

Anyways, next I want to try swimming. I have horrible stamina in the water but I'd like to do something about that! I may even need a few swimming lessons! The goal will be to be able to do a sprint tri this summer (since I always need a goal!). The one I have in mind only has a 1/4 mile swim so I feel like this goal is reasonable. This also means I need a road bike!

For now, I'm having fun piecing together a training plan! I'm still going to maintain the amount of running I'm doing, but build on the swim and bike portions using beginner tri plans I have found.

P.S. I like researching/creating training plans almost as much as executing them! haha :)

2 comments:

  1. I used to love training plans. I totally get that. Then I started feeling like the rebellious kid I never was, like, "Wait, Hally Hig, who are you to tell me what to do?" Actually, Hal is awesome -- I think I'm the freak.

    I'm glad you are posting and counting down to the Dia de Los Flores!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about double days and working out a lot!! I went from 4 running days a week with 3 rest days to XT and strength and only 1 full rest day a week! It's amazing how much stronger we get! Woot woot!

    ReplyDelete