Monday, March 29, 2010

My Second Half Marathon!

Ok, here is my RR:

Pre Race: Woke up around 8am and my stomach was in knots! I had DF go get me a wheat bagel from DD so I could get some food in my stomach. I ended up clearing my entire system out (gross sorry lol) and still felt so nervous!! I don't know why I'm always so nervous before races, must be all the pressure I put on myself. Anyways, so I had my bagel around 9 and then go ready and left around 10. I was going by myself, which I was kinda sad about but oh well. I found the place pretty easily and got my bib and really nice technical long sleeved t! Then I went to the bathroom, twice and just nervously wandered around and warmed up a bit lol We lined up at the start around 10:45 and then stood around until 11:12 according to my garmin, when we were finally off!

Race: I started pretty much on my goal pace, which was under 9mm. I knew there were some crazy miles coming up so I wanted to conserve, but also stay on pace for the parts that weren't hilly. So my first mile was 8:59, hows that for on goal pace! lol the second mile started to incline a bit but I still managed to stay on pace with an 8:55 mile. The next mile was the hardest by far. It was pretty much a constant climb, and not just a slow climb, one part was probably the steepest hill I've ever run up and I even had to stop and walk a few steps twice. I was pretty worried at that point, thinking how was I going to make it!! I still finished that mile at 9:36, which made me feel a little better because I hadn't lost that much time and I knew I could make it up on the downhills I was promised! Mile 4 continued the uphill climb, with a few more steep hills but nothing like mile 3! I finished that mile at 8:56, feeling pretty good since the tough part was over!

The next few miles flew by for me as they were mostly downhill. I was careful not to take it too fast, but felt really comfortable at an 8:30 pace. I slowly started passing people who had worked too hard on the hills, which felt good!
Here were my splits miles 5-10:
Mile 5: 8:30
Mile 6: 8:15 (lots of downhill if I remember!)
Mile 7: 8:30
Mile 8: 8:27
Mile 9: 8:32
Mile 10: 8:34

At this point I was ecstatic! I knew I only had a 5K left and was for sure smashing my previous PR, just was a matter of how much!! At mile 11 we started up the last hill and I decided to pass the girl I was hanging behind for most of the race, which was a good move because I finished the mile at 8:34 and was ahead of her by a bit so I'm glad I didn't stay where I was. Mile 12 I decided to pick up my pace a bit. I was tired, but I wanted to finish with nothing left in the tank and do the best I could! There were a few downhill places so it seemed pretty easy to finish the mile at 8:17. The last mile I felt awesome. I started passing people left and right! I passed a group of three guy and they pushed me to go faster and pass the next girl I could see. Not only did I pass her, but I passed a few other guys and started after the next girl. I finished mile 13 at an unbelievable (for me) 7:44!!! Seriously that is better than my 5K PR pace and after 12 other fast miles!! I sprinted the last .1 at a 7:36 pace and definitely did finish with nothing in the tank!! I finished with an 8:37 pace at 1:52:50, a PR by 7 minutes and 36 seconds. I couldn't beleive it!!! I wondered around with a huge smile on my face. Everyone was probably wondering who this crazy limping happy lady was! lol

What I learned from this race is: I am a lot stronger and faster than I ever thought I was and I can surely push myself beyond what I think my body is capable of!!

Now seriously, how can I get a faster 5K time?? lol I definitely think it's a mind block thing...

1 comment:

  1. You are stronger and faster than you give yourself credit for. :) You did super fantastically well, S! Congrats! I hope to be as fast as you when I grow young. ;)

    ReplyDelete